Jesus modeled a life of mercy and compassion, and as we follow His example, the lives we touch are touched by God and our lives are filled with purpose and power. Here’s a list of just a few service opportunities we have available here at St. John’s.
- Love INC – Big Woods – St. John’s is one of a group of churches that support Love In the Name of Christ located here in Buffalo. This organization serves as a resource for education and support for struggling families in the Buffalo, Maple Lake and Hanover area.
- Buffalo Food Shelf – St. John’s members gather food, raise money and volunteer to support the Buffalo Food Shelf.
- Compassion International – Members of St. John’s have committed to support disadvantaged children in third world countries with money to support their schooling along with Christian compassion and witnessing.
- Project Compassion – This committee of St. John’s members attend to the needs of our homebound members and those that are suffering in mind, body or spirit. The offer visits, cards, prayer shawls, and more.
- Sewing Circle – This group of men and women create quilts to be given to inner-city missions or to sell to raise funds for other mission projects.
- Women in Mission – Their main project is the Country Fair in November which raises funds for a variety charitable organizations. They also sponsor in-gatherings of items needed by other service groups.
- MOSES (Members Offering Service to Elderly and Singles) – We help our church brothers and sisters out with small projects that are easy and fun for some of us but tough for others. So far 70 members have signed up to help. All St. John’s members can be both MOSES volunteers and request assistance, regardless of age and marital status. Since its inception, MOSES has been a great success.
Here is a sample of duties:
- Housework, including cleaning, floors, and laundry, and outdoor cleaning jobs
- Yardwork, including mowing, snow removal, gardening, and stick and leaf removal
- Small maintenance and house projects, such as changing lightbulbs
- Post office runs, and help with UPS and FedEx boxes/packing and unpacking
- Grocery store trips, and rides to medical appointments and church
- Professional services, such as legal, real estate, computer, auto repair, massage, sewing
- Meals and food service
- Companionship, reading, fishing buddy, visiting, berry picking, and phone calls
Our members have a wide array of strengths and are ready, willing and eager to use them. If you are a St. John’s member with any need, even one not listed above, call one of the three MOSES workers: Pat Norine at 763-682-3606, Beth Husom at 952-715-7281, or Karen Horscht at 612-990-9527. They will try to find a suitable member match.